The fried chicken from the upper legs comes from the new book “delicate and juicy” by Petra Hammerstein, published in the autumn of 2018 in the “Umschauverlag”. The book will get a regular place in my kitchen. “Ingenious meat dishes beyond the fillet” is the subtitle. A good mix of classics of veal, beef, pork, lamb and chicken, which I know from childhood days and exquisite meat dishes from other countries, all of which together make you want to re-cook.
Fried chicken with tarragon mayonnaise
Fried chicken from the upper legs
- 12 upper legs of chicken
- 1 cup flour 405
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 l vegetable oil or butter lard for frying
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Tarragon mayonnaise
- 2 stalk tarragon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijonmustard
- 1/4 l neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp yoghurt as desired
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Trigger the upper culls, peel off the skin, cut off excess fat. Cut the meat parts in half.
- Build a breadder station as follows: Put flour mixed with a little salt on a plate, whisk the eggs in a second plate, pour the Panko breadcrumbs into the third plate.
- Before breading, rap the chicken pieces with the mustard, then turn into flour and knock off any excess flour. In the next step, pull the upper culls through the egg and then roll in the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Keep stalk of a wooden spoon in the oil: When the right temperature is reached, bubbles rise. It must not smoke under any circumstances. Chicken portion-wise about 3 – 5 min. Fry until brown and crispy. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and at 200°C about 10 – 15 minutes. Baking.
- Put the egg yolks, mustard and the plucked tarragon leaves in a mixing cup and mix with the puree stick.
- First, infine very little oil in a thin beam, mix vigorously. Attracts the mayonnaise, pour in the oil whole and slowly pull up the puree when mixing until the mayonnaise has the desired consistency.
- Season with vinegar and salt, stir well.
- If you like, you can refine the mayonnaise with a little yogurt.
Triggering the upper legs is easy with a boning. Help can be found on youtube under the keyword “debone a chicken leg”. I modified the recipe by adding mustard to the upper legs before breading. My ex-boss Andreas Süß from the legendary “Süßmund” in Munich showed me the trick. The triggered bones and skin were then processed into a strong chicken broth using soup vegetables and a soup chicken.